Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mounting and Framing


Finally got around to making a headboard for this pig. I measured the offset to the ears so thay would be evenly spaced about the centre of the board, marked my holes and drilled through. Except I think the ears are different lengths, so while they poke out the same amount, the head itself is not in the middle. Oh well, nice try, have another go.


The fund raising dinner dance for the kids school is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'd agreed to donate something for the silent auction and it's been on my mind for a while. But everything I'm working on is slated for the 2015 exhibition at the Hub and I've been mining my stash of lino prints for these events for the last couple of years. I wanted to do something different. So I decided to frame one of my sketches from life drawing. 

I picked up this ready made frame from the local framers. It's not the kind of thing I would normally pick but it caught my eye from across the room. It occurred to me it could do the same for someone at the auction. And I'm right into gold leaf right now. And a showy frame could work around a simple monochrome line drawing. And then I felt bad because it seemed I was tailoring my choices around a desired financial outcome. And then I started questioning if I was erroneously justifying my other reasons and was I really shallow and only interested in being noticed and making money. 

Then I figured, Fuck it! Don't over-think dumb shit and just trust your first instinct.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Banded Trotter Casts



I had an idea to try something different with the cast trotters. By laying the mould down at an angle, diagonal bands of colour and finish have been introduced to these pieces. One is topped with cold cast aluminium and the other brass.

There are challenges to this process. Firstly the glitter does want to settle out of suspension. There seems to be a ratio of glitter to resin that results in minimal settlement for maximum colour. Below that and most of the glitter drops out and your left with very clear cast. Above it and the mass of settled glitter at the bottom is obvious and the cast lacks brightness. But I'm not sure what that magic mix is, I'm still going by feel.

The other contributing factor is the mix ratio of catalyst to resin. A hot mix with more catalyst will stiffen quicker, becoming more viscous and holding more glitter before it has a chance to settle. Hot mixes do however tend to be slightly cloudy, shrinkage seems a little more pronounced and there is a possibility of cracking.

The problem with shrinkage is that as each layer cures, it pulls away from the inside surface of the mould leaving a slight gap. When the subsequent layer is poured over the top, it seeps down the sides forming a skin over the previous pours. Looking at the cast on the right, you can see some green glitter has managed to work its way right to the tip of the trotter. It took a lot of sanding to get that green skin off and I was not entirely successful in that regard.

Despite all that, I'm very happy with the way these turned out.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Hub Gallery - February 2015




This week I have received approval from the Moreton Bay Regional Council to hold a solo exhibition in their Hub Gallery at Caboolture from the 10 February to 7 March 2015. This is a fantastic new venue and a great opportunity for me to exhibit work in a public institutional setting. The Caboolture Regional Gallery plays host to many large and notable traveling national exhibitions like the National Photographic Portrait Prize and the Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award.

Rumor has it the MBRC are planning a survey exhibition of notable Queensland Sculptors for the main gallery around the same time as my exhibition so I should be esteemed company.