Saturday, February 23, 2013

Buddha Bombs




Today I finished sanding my soapstone carving of the 'Buddha Bomb' and sealed it with a few coats of linseed oil. I could keep fiddling with it forever but I think I've done about as much as I care too. This particular piece of stone is softer than the green portion I had to practice with and I understand that makes it much less suitable for glossy polishing. I sanded it in stages to 1200 grit wet and dry but it still looks leathery and I've had to be very careful with it, a stray fingernail will leave a mark. The next stage is to make a mould and cast a bunch in plaster. Should look hot in glossy black paint.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Crown of Thorns Buddha


This is the first of several Buddha pieces I have planned following our recent adventures through furniture and homeware stores. Living in a predominantly Christian neighborhood, and believing most people who purchased Buddha's locally probably identify as Christians, my first thought was to adorn Buddha with a crown of thorns. I had planned a more realistic crown, but as the work progressed, the slashing strokes I had roughed in appealed more an more. It's perhaps softer than more realistically drawn thorns might have been but that's ok. After all, I don't really mean any harm to the Buddha.



This week I started a second semester of sculpture with Karl De Waal at the BIA. We discussed my Buddha project and he was encouraging. I had begun modelling a Buddha Bomb in clay a couple of  weeks   ago but was finding the material too course for the finish I'd been hoping for. He suggested I try carving it in soapstone and gave me a piece he had being lying around the studio. I'm well pleased with my first attempt at carving stone.
There's no underlying commentary or intent to the symbolism here except that the hair on the buddha sculptures reminds me of the lumps on hand grenades.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tuna School Finished

This painting is finished and it didn't end up taking as long as I'd thought it might. There were a few false endings. I took it outside to photograph it in some decent light and was a little shocked. It was bright blue and not nearly murky enough. So I knocked it back with a blue green glaze, then brought back some detail, then glazed it again. And finally last night I gave it a few coats of varnish. Not the two pack epoxy coat I have put on my other fish paintings but the more traditional turps based varnish. It does add a depth to  the colour that perhaps the acrylic paint otherwise lacks.