Sunday, October 21, 2012

Garden Tuna - Next Steps






I've made some progress with my fish sculpture over the last couple of weeks. With the two moulds cleaned, sanded, patched, sanded, patched, sanded and sealed, I made a rubbing of the outline and scanned it into the computer; time for a little virtual sculpting. I designed a central support bracket and fashioned it from galvanised tin. The templates for the fins were glued directly to the prespex sheets and hand cut with a router. The four lateral brackets were heated in the oven (when my wife was out) and bent down 90 degrees. Later they will get adhered to the sides with silicone along with the fins. Today I laid in fibreglass to the two sides. 
Way out of my depth here, worried that my first resin mix was light on for hardener, I overcompensated on the next mix (Probably ten years since I last touched fibre glass and that was a pre-measured kit) . The resin turned to jelly before I could finish laying in the last layer of fibre. It looks OK but I'm definitely worried I will destroy the plaster moulds trying to get the sides out.

Fingers Crossed.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno man. I think you are waaaay too short on the engineering. It all seems like you haven't put enough thought into this.

    ReplyDelete