Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lightpole - Lino Cut

I've had my sketchbook open on display all week and really liked the lightpole from my drawing of the Walter Taylor Bridge, so I decided to make a lino cut of it. There are three plates, one for the sky blend, one for the the background hills (which replaced the true landscape) and finally the linework. I printed this at home with water based inks and a spoon for a burnisher and ran off half a dozen copies. Printmaking  purists would probably be shocked with the poor technical quality of these prints but I love 'em. The roughness is their charm.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Location Sketching - Walter Taylor Bridge


I bought a new sketchbook and determined to spend more time drawing on location. But it's hard to find time with small children and a full time job, so I set myself up in Indooroopilly at 4:30am this morning and sketched for an hour. Just in pencil, I added the ink when I got home. It was cold, I was tired, my ass got sore and I had to pee. A bush turkey even ran up the road at me, gobbling ominously before veering away at the last minute. It was worth it.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Portrait with Pastels


Feeling a bit frustrated with painting, I wanted to get back to basics with some drawing. I'd barely touched the pack of Pastels I bought nearly a year ago for my drawing class so I decided to break them out for another portrait. This is Jamie Isles, the Production Manager at Aclad, one of my clients. He was in my office a few weeks ago and couldn't help but notice all the paintings and drawings I now have lying all over the place. He was kind enough to pose for a photo. 

Like a number of my portraits, this image probably looks more like a relative of the subject rather than the actual subject. But I'm not beating myself up about it. I enjoyed making it and that makes me feel good about
persisting with those other projects that aren't going so well.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dry Point Etching - Gold Coast












This week, a failed drawing becomes a pair of Dry Point Etchings. The image was scratched into two plastic sheets with an etching needle, inked and run through the press. They came out a little fuzzy and given this is my first attempt at this form of printmaking I'm not entirely sure how to make it better. More effort cleaning the excess ink off the plate before printing would probably be a good start.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Colour Plate Prints

Back to school this week after two weeks off for mid semester holidays and finishing the prints I started three weeks ago now. I had printed the colour plates and left them to dry over the break and they were now ready for the second printing. The different coloured inks behave a little differently. Printing black over the yellow seems to work OK but the red ink wants to repel the second layer. Apart from that, the black prints came out fairly cleanly with little or no "Salt & Pepper" and I've ended up with a bunch of images I'm quite proud of. I have started a couple of Dry Point etching plates so hopefully there'll be some new things to see next week.