Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Lino Cuts





Wow, Lino Cuts. I've been looking forward to this in the hope it would be something I could really like and I have to say, it hasn't disappointed. I cut these plates, my first ever, during the week in two long, late night sessions. I just couldn't make myself put them down and crawl into bed. Which is a shame because I've got so much real work on at the moment, I'd been hoping to get some early starts in. Oh well, I'm thrilled with the prints and wondering what to draw next.

Monday, August 22, 2011

More Crabs and Birds



no time for making new plates this week, but I was happy to try for something better from the two plates I made last week.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Portrait - Hell'n Heck

This is a portrait of Mrs Heck Tate that I've been working on. I did the underpainting in half an hour and it looked good. Some days later I started painting proper and it went all wrong, so I painted it out. I painted over it again and then painted it out again. After about three starts, this is were it's at. There's a funny shadow under the lips and the left eye isn't quite right but overall, it looks like what I was aiming for.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Collographs

This week we made Collogpraphs. In preparation I had constructed two plates using bits and pieces from around the house and garden.



The Bird plate survived several passes through the press. I had feared it would simply crumble. These prints are shown in the order I made them. It's not quite there yet.


Only managed one print of the crab and it looks promising. More next week.


These are the two plates. The Bird is constructed of dried leaves, grass and bits of sandpaper. The crab is string, aluminium foil and a paste of glue and sand. The bird plate looks good on its own. Hopefully it survives a few more prints.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Drawing of the Q1 print


I made a drawing of the print I made of Q1. Maybe when i get to etching or drypoint......

But they're not really MONOprints



Thanks for the link Heck, but i decided not to do the Obama thing. Currently out of print though, could have made a buck. Instead I made up a couple of my own designs. I drew some inspiration from a prominent construction project of mine from the last decade and then I got stuck. Heaps of ideas that all sucked and I kept thinking I was missing the point a little bit with all the stencils and multiple pressings. In the end I settled on something that mixed a stencil print with a freehand drawing print. Looking at it now, I should have scratched a clock face into the blob on the right and a second arm into the arm chair. It would have read better, but hey, it looks pretty good for my nine hours of print making experience!